In the fast-changing higher education landscape and the context of new approaches to learning and teaching at universities, there is a growing need for professional development for teaching faculty. Although the scholarship of teaching and learning has gained importance not only in the US but in other parts of the world as well, teaching is still considered of secondary importance in the career of many academics and at most colleges and universities. New initiatives that emphasize teaching excellence have encouraged universities worldwide to look at possible ways to further develop the teaching skills of their faculty members. Universities - particularly those in Central and Eastern Europe and the Global South – often lack sufficient experts who can engage as higher education advisors or trainers in the areas of teaching and learning, and there are hardly any universities or other institutions that offer professional trainings to external faculty. Therefore, there is a growing need for local educational developers who can become agents of change and provide advice, training, coaching, and support to their peers.
The proposed Summer University course intends to help universities of the OSUN network and beyond conceptualize and design their own, in-house professional development and other initiatives that improve teaching and learning (across the disciplines) and bring the quality of their education to high international standards.
This course is intended for university teachers, leaders and managers. We also invite applications from advanced undergraduate students who have adequate prior study or engagement experience on the subject and make a compelling case in their application/statement of interest.
Please read the following directions carefully.
Below is the list of the documents you need to prepare or arrange for submission:
- Completed online SUN Application Form (see notes below)
- Full curriculum vitae or resume, including a list of publications, if any
Please upload your Curriculum Vitae or resume, including a list of publications, if any.
- Statement of Purpose (max. 1,000 words)
In the Statement of Purpose, please describe how the course is relevant to your teaching, research, or professional work, and in what way you expect to benefit from it. Please list relevant courses in the field you have taken previously during your studies.
Please provide a name, contact email, and phone number of a person (a faculty member, job supervisor, etc.) who can be contacted by the course directors to attest to your abilities, qualifications, and academic/professional performance.
- Personal Statement on Financial Aid
Those who are eligible and wish to apply for financial aid should specify their reasons in the “Personal statement on financial aid” section (Funding page of the application form).
You can upload further optional documents on the Qualifications page such as
academic documents that you think may be relevant to support your application in the ‘Other Supporting Documents’ section. All documents should be merged into a single PDF file not exceeding the size 2 MB. No passwords and encryption are allowed.
Completed CEU Summer University Application Form
We strongly advise the use of Google Chrome to enable the full functionality of the form.
- You may apply to a maximum of two summer courses. In case of being admitted, you can only attend both if the two courses do not overlap in time. Financial aid, if available, is only granted to attend one course.
- If you applied to CEU before, please use your existing login and password to start a new application. If you do not remember your password from last year click on Forgotten Password. With technical problems, bugs, or errors related to the online application forms please contact the CEU IT Help Desk.
- Right after login, please select ”Summer University” radiobutton from the "Type of course" list, and leave all other fields empty.
- All application materials must be submitted with the online application form(s). Materials sent by postal mail, electronic mail, or fax are not considered.
- The maximum allowable file size for upload is 2MB per file and the acceptable file formats are PDF, JPG, and JPEG. Ensure all security features (e.g. passwords and encryption) are removed from the documents before uploading them.
- Applications cannot be edited after submission. Please submit your application only when it is 100% final and complete.
- Further user instructions for the online application are included in the form itself. Should you have questions regarding the application form, check the relevant Frequently Asked Questions.
- Applications submitted after the deadline will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
If you need help or more information during the application process, please feel free to contact the SUN staff via email.
The SUN Office will notify applicants about the selection results in April. Please check the 'Dates and deadlines' section on the relevant course websites for notification deadlines planned earlier or later. The final decision is not open to appeal.